In the City of Willmar, there are three (3) different types of permits that relate to the purchase, ownership, or use of firearms. Those permits are defined as:
Permit to Acquire (Purchase) - meaning you want a permit to "purchase" a firearm.
Permit to Carry - meaning you want a permit to "carry a concealed" handgun.
Permit to Shoot Pests - meaning you want to shoot pests within the city limits of Willmar.
- Determining jurisdiction - If you live in the county, the application is passed on to the Sheriff. If you live within the city limits of Willmar, it is passed on to the Chief of Police.
- Determining eligibility - A criminal history, Department of Human Services (DHS), and a local background check are conducted. If nothing prevents the applicant from owning a firearm, then depending on the jurisdiction where you live, either the Sheriff or Police Chief will sign the permit and mail it back to you.
Obtaining a permit to carry is more extensive and expensive. First, you are required to attend a handgun certification training course. These courses are taught by private companies or individuals who have been approved to provide the training. The cost of attending their course may vary, so it is helpful to call different services that provide the training. A list of some of the approved people or companies who provide training in this area follows:
- Minnesota Gun Class, Willmar, MN 56201, Phone: (320) 235-9445, Website: www.minngunclass.com
- Peart & Associates, 500 SW Industrial Drive, Willmar, MN 56201, Phone: (320) 235-1137
- Elite Protective Services Inc., New London, MN 56273, Phone: (320) 354-4196 Email: email@example.com
- Alpha Training & Tactics, Phone: (320) 894-3385, Website: www.alphatrainingtactics.com
- Lamppost CCW Inc., Donovan Kuehl, Phone: (320) 212-7460, Website: www.LamppostCCW.com
- Great Lakes Training Group, Phone: (320) 226-3225, Website: www.greatlakestraininggroup.com
- XTREMEasures, LLC, Jason Elmore, Phone: (320) 291-1347, Website: www.XtremeasuresLLC.com
After attending the training, you can apply for the actual permit. To obtain a permit application form to carry a handgun, you can simply click this link and download the “Permit to Carry” application form or stop in or call the Kandiyohi County Sheriff’s Office Records Unit during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday). If you call, they will mail the permit to you. Their information is: 2201 23rd St NE, Willmar, MN 56201, telephone No. (320) 214-6700 ext.3500.
After you have completed the application form, you will submit it to the Sheriff’s Office Records Unit where it will be reviewed to determine both proper jurisdiction and eligibility. This application is to be submitted only to the Sheriff of the county you reside in.
Cost and Length of Permit
You have to make application within one year of attending the training course, otherwise you would have to “re-take” the course. The cost of applying for a permit to carry is $100.00, if it is a new permit, or $75.00, if you are renewing a permit that is about to expire.
If an applicant was not approved, the money submitted ($100.00 or $75.00) would not be reimbursed to the applicant, as that is the cost to do the background check. However, the only reason a person might not pass is if they have committed some serious crime or have been admitted to a facility for substance abuse or mental issues. Basically, if a person can pass the process to purchase a handgun (which is free), they will more than likely pass the process for carrying a handgun concealed. The permit to carry is valid for 5 years.
Permit to Shoot Pests