Willmar Logo

Homestead Information

All property in the City of Willmar is valued and classified by the City Assessor but the property taxes due and payable are billed and collected through Kandiyohi County.

As per state statute, the City of Willmar classifies and values all property as of January 2 of every year.  To receive the homestead classification for your residence, you must fill out an initial homestead classification form.  To qualify for the homestead classification you must:

  • Occupy the property listed on the application as your primary residence
  • Be one of the owners of the property listed on the application
  • Be a Minnesota resident

Your assessor will determine whether you are a Minnesota resident for purposes of the homestead classification.  You may be considered a Minnesota resident if all of some the following conditions apply to you:

  • You are registered to vote in Minnesota
  • You have a valid Minnesota driver's license
  • You file a Minnesota income tax return
  • You list a property in Minnesota as your permanent mailing address
  • You are employed by a business located in Minnesota
  • Your children, if any, attend school in Minnesota, and/or
  • You are not a resident of any other state or country

State law (MS 273.124, Subd. 9 & 13) requires that the Social Security numbers and signatures of each occupant who is listed as an owner of the property be listed on the application.  Even if the owner's spouse is not listed as an owner of the property, the spouse is still required to give social security numbers and signatures on the application if they occupy the property along with the owner's information.  In either case, the application must be signed by each owner and his/her spouse who occupies the property.  If there is not enough space for all required signatures and Social Security Numbers, please attach a separate piece of paper with them to the application.  Social Security numbers are confidential information.

Do You Own Another Property In Which Your Relative Lives?  In addition to your own homestead, you may be able to obtain homestead classification for property you own in Minnesota in which your relative lives as his or her residence.  To receive this kind of homestead classification, the property must be the residence of any of the following:   child, stepchild, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, parent, step-parent, parent-in-law, grandchild, grandparent, brother, brother-in-law, sister, sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew.  To receive the homestead classification, a relative homestead application must be filled out by both the owner/owners and their qualifying relative.

For information on other types of special homestead classifications or general property tax questions, please call or stop in at the City Assessor's office.

Minnesota Department of Revenue